Author Topic: SAD lamps- do they help?  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
SAD lamps- do they help?
« on: November 25, 2015, 02:43:03 PM »
I always find winter time really difficult but this year is even worse since I'm working the night shift so I'm sleeping most of the day and not seeing much daylight. Has anyone used an SAD lamp and did it help? I'd like to hear about the experiences of others so I don't end up wasting money on something that wont work. I'm not hoping for a miracle cure, just something that may help a bit. I hate winter.  :(
Rabbits are better than people

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
Re: SAD lamps- do they help?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 04:56:40 PM »
Hi C_V

I've got a SAD lamp and I do find it helps. It's definitely a different type of light than you get from a standard lamp. Wether it's all psychological or wether it physically makes a difference I'm not sure, but it does help. I'm sat with mine on now.

I got mine from Amazon. It wasn't very expensive. I could try to find you a link to the one I have if you like. I have had it a couple of years tho so might not be available still. I think there are lots on Amazon tho

Xx
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 05:45:59 PM »
Thanks TH, I think I'll try some of the ones on amazon. Sounds like it might help me. Thanks for sharing.  :)

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 11:32:47 PM »
Just thought I'd post a little update just in case anyone else is looking for info on SAD lights. This is the one I bought;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008TZBMWI/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was definitely worth the money. I feel much better and others have commented that I seem happier and more energetic than before I started using it. It has made a difference. I simply switch it on for a about an hour in the morning, I don't need to stare at it! I also find it helpful to use just before I start a night shift. It's a lot brighter than a standard lamp so don't stare at it as you switch it on or you'll dazzle yourself! I definitely recommend this to anyone who gets depressed in the winter.

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 12:48:44 AM »
Some people find that vitamin d supplements help, too. I've not looked whether people who benefit from using these lamps might particularly benefit from D3 supplements. They can be bought OTC.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258