Author Topic: Should I get help?  (Read 5306 times)

Offline Butterfly20

• --- Standard Member
  • First posts
Should I get help?
« on: July 12, 2015, 04:24:44 PM »
I'm struggling to cope with the self-harm at the moment and I think it's time to try professional help to stop.

My self harm started about 2 years ago when I was in an abusive relationship. Now I am in a much better place as my ex got the police caution last year and I have a new partner, happy with work and family etc. But I still can't stop self harming. If something happens that upsets or angers me my natural reaction is to cut.

Why am I still doing this? I should be grateful that I am free of that man and have found someone so accepting of me, but when the going gets tough I just can't stop cutting.

I'm scared to try counselling because I know I'll have to drag up all the horrific things that man did to me and I just can't face that, but I'm scared to go to the GP too because I don't know what happens when you tell your GP about self harming. The other thing is I'm in a Psychology profession myself-I'm doing a PhD and have just been offered my first job as a lecturer, and I'm scared that if I seek help it will go on my record and I won't be allowed to do my job.

I want to stop. So any information about how GPs usually react to this or just any words of wisdom would be gratefully received.

Offline hayley

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Should I get help?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 01:51:03 AM »
To get any professional help you will have start with your GP.. When I first saw my GP he was very supportive, helpful and even gave me reassurance.

The self-harm could well be continuing because of internal guilt for not letting go sooner.  Also the first psychiatrist I saw said self harm was like an addiction - I can't see it myself - but there is something in once you start you can't stop although you will eventually learn coping methods and how to distract and what with.

If you're worries are anything like mine when I first started hurting myself I can tell you that you won't get sectioned and they'll no men in white coats coming for y
Check out my blog! www.borderlineshavemoref un@wordpress.com

Offline BA

• 018s Buddy
  • Usually here
  • Mission One
Re: Should I get help?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »
If you do go to counselling you can talk about the issues at your own pace, even if it's outside of your comfort zone. You have already identified one of the causes, which is a step in the right direction.

Work with your GP, he/she can advise on a plan to develop alternative coping mechanisms. Your fitness and capacity to work should not be solely dictated by your relationship with self-harm.
Strength, courage and wisdom.