Author Topic: how do you stop people judging  (Read 4899 times)

Offline flutter

• First posts
how do you stop people judging
« on: May 20, 2015, 01:41:16 PM »
hey there, im kinda new here, well new to posting anyways

its been almost a month since i last self harmed but last week i was in hospital cos i had a low blood sugar and had a seizure. the doctors assumed that i caused the low blood sugar myself because of my self harm scars. i also have a history of severe depression where i was in hospital 3 years ago after i overdosed,and the doctors knew this.

they put 2+2 together and got 5. just because i have a lot of self harm scars and a history of overdose, it doesnt mean i did this to myself.

i dont knwo what i can do. its now on my medical records that i attempted suicide despite being cleared by the on-call psych team.

im just fed up of people jumping to conclusions because of my past. is this what im going to have to put up with for the rest of my life?

its not just that its in my medical records, it has  massive implications on my job because now i have to wait another 3 weeks before i can be seen by occpational health before i can go back, and thats if they clear me.

its realy pissed me off and i thought doctors are suppost to listen to their patients?

any comments will be realy appreciated.

flutter  :help:

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Re: how do you stop people judging
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 03:30:54 PM »
Hey  :wave:

The doctors might have appeared to come to the wrong conclusion, but repeat testing should show if there was another cause - whether this is through damage to yourself from that previous overdose or something else I can't say. It seems strange that you've gone 3 years without blood sugar related incident or management. If you really disagree with your doctor's decision, you are entitled to a second opinion from another doctor.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline flutter

• First posts
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 08:01:44 PM »
hey thanks for your reply.

i havent gone 3 years without a blood sugar related issues, ive had a low blood sugar lots of times when i have infections, for which ive needed glucose treatments. Also my blood tests this time round have shown i had infection in my bloodstream.

i personally think that this time was caused by the infection as did some of the doctors i saw, but the consultant didnt even spend 5 minutes to chat to me or assess my mental state. he just judged, because of my scars, and its his assumptions that have the final say.

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:14:19 PM »
 :)

I think that some medics see ods as dangerous enough (especially cumulatively) to be seen as deliberate life threatening events. Perhaps it's that which he's based his assumption on, more than just visual signs? It's hard for some people to take on board that there can be a world of difference behind acts of self harm and sui attempts.

Let's hope that things clear up and occupational health give you the ok.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 03:12:55 AM »
If they have recorded something that is wrong it's unlikely that they will retract it. It's possible that you could submit something that asks them to make a note that you disagree with wat is written.  But it might be worth requesting your medical notes from that event and checking what it does say. You might need to pay for that though. They will have had to evidence why they came to that conclusion so it might help you to see which things made them think that. 

I know it isn't ideal but you don't have to put up with that being unchallenged.  It just might take a long time. 
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”