Author Topic: Declaring MH at work  (Read 6815 times)

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
Declaring MH at work
« on: May 14, 2015, 09:53:17 PM »
Apparently I have to have a note put on my file stating my MH diagnosis'

I don't care about them knowing about Complex PTSD
I struggle with saying BPD though

I don't know why I have to do this

They said it's for "safety of staff"

Is this right???

Offline Rosie26

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Declaring MH at work
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 10:01:24 PM »
It would be worth speaking to your union if you belong to one. I'm not sure where you stand legally with this though I've been under the impression that a person cannot be made to make such a declaration unless they are deemed to be a risk to others.

I have BPD too and can completely understand why you wouldn't feel comfortable saying it - you may find thy are supportive though?

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 11:06:42 PM »
My manager is on maternity leave - left last week
I'm now reporting to HER manager who is evil

Regularly tells ppl (me) to f*** off and get on with it

Had to rearrange a room a partially dislocated my shoulder again

Hmm we don't have union where I am but I have been told about a general one I can join

Just a little nervous about it all tbh

Thank you for replying xxx

Offline inmythirties

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 12:44:27 PM »
I haven't disclosed to anyone at work the diagnosis I have (BPD). I really struggle to come to terms with the diagnosis and wouldn't want any colleague to start looking up information about BPD that then meant I was prejudged.
You can phone ACAS for employment advice (google ACAS helpline) if concerned about your rights.
Do you have an Occupational Health department? You could tell OH that you have this diagnosis but that you don't wish that information to be shared with management. This may be the best approach. If you disclosed complex PTSD then this may also be sufficient in terms of medical records, some people use complex PTSD rather than BPD as a label, it is far more meaningful and helpful in most cases.
I don't think we should be defined or held to what diagnosis we may have been given by mental health services in the past. You should be able to do a job if you want to and not face stigma or shame (not that we should feel shame over our mental health history but I know how complicated it is and how that particular diagnosis hurts).

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 05:02:28 PM »
ACAS are good. I've spoken to them before about something different and they were really helpful. Like has been said, Google the ACAS helpline and the number should pop up.

I really would recommend you join a union. I think they could help you fight a lot of the battles you've had with work.
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline inmythirties

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 05:19:56 PM »
Lily Kym - how did you get on with this dilemma?
I thought of you because I've just been offered a new job subject to a health questionnaire. I am now worried what this questionnaire will ask ie a question about diagnosis.
If you have been with your employer for a while hopefully they know you and rely on you beyond any mental lhealth label.

Offline mbwa

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 02:15:41 AM »
ACAS are good as the others have mentioned, the Mind legal helpline 0300 466 6463 has really helped me too.

I was badly discriminated against at work because of my mental health condition. I would seek advice about what you are being told to do.

I hope it works out for you

Offline Je7

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 09:47:23 PM »
I don't really have much advice but I to have the BPD label and have been open and honest with management about it and they have been AMAZING. We even had a meeting with my care co- ordinator who
Explained my diagnosis to them.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 02:40:28 AM »
I think it all depends on the individual managers. A previous employer made my life quite difficult and restricted all sorts of stuff because of the simple fact that I self harm. It was an environment where I needed to administer medication to vulnerable people and sometimes lone worked. The company hounded my psychiatrist for answers to really long questions tongue if they had anything to sack me on...they didn't.

I now work for the local council in a similar setting and it couldn't be more different.  I am supported as any other member of staff with some additional consideration thrown in to make sure that work "works" for me.  My previous employer had less details that these but that is because of their attitude. 

It really does help for people to know things because then they can be aware or situations that might arise and plan effectively for them. I had a significant chunk of time off and they were able to understand it. If it was my previous employer I would have had to make something up or risk losing my job, but because the attitude is better here I was able to talk to them about a phased return that worked for both of us.

They don't have the right to ask for a diagnosis unless they are a doctor...as in they go through occupational health.  They have a duty to keep staff files in line with confidentiality policy.  They shouldn't be implying that your diagnosis is necessary for them to determine "staff safety" in that situation I would be tempted to ask then to put their questions to occy health and let them deal with it. They know the ins and outs and they won't discriminate.   They are also not allowed to disclose things to your employer that you request they don't...Unless it was a disclosure that would affect someone's wellbeing etc

Best advice the psychiatrist ever gave me other than stuff that was directly head related.....large organisations like councils and the NHS have really strict discrimination policy and tend to be good employers
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 08:48:53 PM »
I did something
I contacted the oxford Uni disability service and told them
They are coming to see me week after next

Thank you for all your replies
Sorry I haven't been on

Health is a little poor at the mo

Heart issues