Author Topic: Schools/College workshops and presentation  (Read 4656 times)

Offline Tasha_Foundation

• First posts
Schools/College workshops and presentation
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »
Hi there.

I wasn't sure where to post this so apologies if in the wrong place.

I work for a mental health charity (the Tasha Foundation) and we are going into local schools and colleges  to give presentations on bullying and self harm. We have a workshop exercise for the bullying side to encourage discussion among the pupils (aged 16-18) and was wondering if anyone had a ideas for similar things around self harm? We are looking to generate a discussion among small groups which they can then feedback to everyone- lasting around 15-20 minutes. We are set for the presentation but are looking for something a bit more engaging than just talking at them.

Any advice or links to material would be greatly received.

Many thanks,

Tom- The Tasha Foundation

Offline Olivia

• 18+
  • Gold Member
Re: Schools/College workshops and presentation
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 11:33:53 PM »
Hi,

I sometimes get outside speakers into my lessons in school. The pupils tend to respond best to activities where they get given a pack of pictures/words in a plastic envelope and get into small groups. There's loads you could do, such as

• Get them to rank different types of people into who looks like they'd self harm and who wouldn't to encourage them to break stereotypes down.
• You could also get them to find links between 2,3 or more of the pictures and words and to explain why they've linked what they have.
• You could give them agnony aunt style situations and they have to come up with what they think the responses would be from different points of view, such as a friend, parent, teacher, GP, someone in their year group.

Hope I've helped. My brains not working as well as it should this time of night!  :)