Author Topic: Robin Williams RIP  (Read 6918 times)

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
Robin Williams RIP
« on: August 12, 2014, 08:59:43 AM »
I don't normally get upset by news like this, but I just can't believe it. He had unlimited raw energy, a big heart and was kind enough to share it with us all.  :( If you are feeling low please talk to someone.

Amongst other things

Offline Lauren

• 18+
  • Gold Member
Re: Robin Williams RIP
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »
RIP. I remember him as Mrs Doubtfire and in Good Will Hunting. So sad to hear this news this morning.
:13328:
When the sharpest words wanna cut me down, I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out, I am brave, I am bruised, I am who I'm meant to be... I make no apologies, THIS IS ME.

Offline behindthewall

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 01:01:39 PM »
Very sad to hear this news. He came across as such a warm and giving man. X x

Offline Jeep

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:17:44 AM »
RIP. The devastating consequences of a "real" illness
The sky isn't always blue. The sun doesn't always shine. So it's ok to fall apart sometimes

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »
Really made me sad. Hopefully he's at peace now but such a shame.
Last SH: 05.01.2016
Last purge: 16.09.13
Last OD: 30.05.15

Well done Super Sian! :superman: x x

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 08:26:47 PM »

very sad news and I don't like the way the newspapers have written about him and graphically talked about the way he died.

Hash

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 01:55:50 PM »
RIP. The devastating consequences of a "real" illness

It's been said having a heart attack is like have an elephant on your chest. Depression must be unrelenting, in some respects. I'm guessing he felt there was no way forward.

very sad news and I don't like the way the newspapers have written about him and graphically talked about the way he died.

Hash

Yes, I believe the Samaritans have been critical of this.

Amongst other things

Offline behindthewall

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »
It's been a mixed bag really, some appallingly inappropriate press coverage but some very balanced and helpful comments and responses from organisations like Samaritans, MIND and Rethink. I hope some of that has been encouraging to people feeling very low and /or suicidal to seek help and to let them know help is out there. So horrible for his family to have their grief made so public though.

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 03:04:58 PM »
I think almost every conceivable angle about it has been discussed on social media. I note that telling people to 'please talk' was criticised a lot as it doesn't address anything a broken MH system, which may underlie why some people have a hard time getting help. The concern about the media coverage is that it may be seen to glorify and glamorise suicide and that vulnerable people might feel they'll get the same sort of response if they take their own lives.

If you watch any interview with him, you'll see that he's pretty much always performing, be it a talk show or whatever. I can imagine that having to be 'always on' (he can hardly sit still) whilst somewhat driven by himself, in front of the camera, must have been quite draining.

Amongst other things