Author Topic: Easily offended or more stigma?  (Read 5314 times)

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
Easily offended or more stigma?
« on: August 09, 2014, 08:38:42 PM »
I follow the QI facts on twitter and they posted a fact the other day "psychiatrists say darth vader had borderline personality disorder". ... I was really offended by this... I don't think PD need any more bad stigma and this is the last thing I want a professional to think when they treat me... He was a mass murderer (although fictional I know)  ... Am I being over sensitive or is this offensive? I feel really strongly that I want to start defending the rights of people with personality disorders as feel they are so mis understood...but am I over reacting ?

I. Along with lots of others posted that they felt this was inappropriate and they posted back it was supposed to show the human side of this fictional character.. I think this was just a get out though for realising that they'd actually been very offensive...

Sorry if posted in the wrong place x x
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline Lwona

• 18+
  • Usually here
    • Haven Cow
Re: Easily offended or more stigma?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 07:17:11 PM »
I think it depends on how you read it and the state of mind you were in when you did. I think, in my opinion, it was a fairly innocent 'diagnosis'. I've seen a lot of television/movie characters 'diagnosed', even cartoons like Winnie the Pooh! I don't think it was necessary a reflection on those with BPD, or a stereotype that those with BPD would be mass murders. I can understand why you feel strongly about this, BPD can be very harshly represented and it could have felt like this was adding to it by a program that shouldn't have. I very much doubt a professional would think of you as Darth Vader or anyone else from media they consider to have BPD.

Sorry to hear this has upset you though :hug1:
< Buzz ;D
:piano: < Little Red Dude
*cat* < Ruby ;D

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 09:45:52 PM »
Thanx I think your right, it was more to do with the state of mind I was in... I've been struggling lately and feel angry with the way I and others get treated sometimes...

It's funny because normally I'm the last one to get offended by things and regularly make light of my mh problems, it's easier to see the funny side...

Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline Lwona

• 18+
  • Usually here
    • Haven Cow
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »
It's okay :) BPD is often badly represented and because it's something close to your heart, it can be more difficult to see it as a just a passing comment. Sorry things have been difficult lately xx
< Buzz ;D
:piano: < Little Red Dude
*cat* < Ruby ;D

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 03:47:10 PM »
I haven’t watched QI enough and I don’t know its Twitter to get a general sense of what they go for in terms of tone.

My guess is personality disorders is a somewhat meaningless term to most people unless they have direct experience.  I can't really think of anyone who has publicly 'come out' with this issue. I read a lot of MH print and online media (and roll my eyes a lot...I'm quite attuned to media laziness) for my job and I'm not aware of any specific coverage, but this is not to say there isn't any. In that sense, PDs are not as commonly discussed - there is no real narrative about them compared to depression, suicide or body image. Not being a Star Wars fan I wouldn't get that joke. Sometimes any low hanging fruit is what comedy goes for, but I don't think that's the case here.

Amongst other things