Author Topic: Application for Volunteering do I mention BPD  (Read 5342 times)

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
Application for Volunteering do I mention BPD
« on: July 25, 2014, 09:18:53 PM »
I am applying to work with special needs and disabled children and their siblings in an adventure playground and my husband says to me I shouldn't mention my BPD but instead say I have anxiety and depression.

Also I was a special needs assistant in a school but I did not last more than a month before taking an overdose and leaving the position. Do I have to put that in my Application form.

Hash

Offline hayley

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Application for Volunteering do I mention BPD
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 10:42:59 PM »
I just said I had poor mental health which is why I wasn't able to seek paid work at the moment.

Its not so important for a voluntary job to go into too much detail but should give some as if you aint old or disabled yourself they don't quite get why you aint looking for paid work.

My vol work is with disabled young adults and theres only one person who actually knows my full diagnosis, just haven't felt the need for people need to know.

You will have to have an enhanced DBS (CRB) check but that probably wont cause you problems (and you don't have to say you have BPD on that either.

Good luck - you're gonna love it!!
Check out my blog! www.borderlineshavemoref un@wordpress.com

Offline Megan_h97

• First posts
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:24:50 AM »
Can Someone From This Department Please Give Me An E-Mail Address For Someone That I Can Talk To About Fund Raising For This Charity!!!???

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 04:21:41 PM »
Megan what do you mean?????????

Saying I have poor mental health or anxiety and depression sounds okay!

Yes I know I have to do  a DBS check and I am not too worried about it.

THe application form is so difficult, I am meant to account for all my working or not working since I was in education which is 17 years.

I am afraid I have had to leave my last job as a Special Needs Assistant because I overdosed and I don't want to tell them that.

Hash

Offline hayley

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:21:34 AM »
The overdose I think should maybe left for interview or when you've been accepted as a volunteer. Its not necessary to go into too much detail at this stage. Where ther are work gaps you can say it is to do with being ill. Id say save all the real mental stuff as on a need to know basis.

The past is important as it guides us for the future. However if you dwell too much on the past you make it difficult for people to see you as you are now. You had a breakdown when you were teaching before but I'm sure you've grown a bit since then and learnt how to ask for help earlier so there's nothing to say it would happen again.

If you put too much on your application form they may deem you to be too flaky and you wont even get a foot in the door and chance to prove you can be good at the job.

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 08:59:11 PM »

THanks for the advice I appreciate it.

Hash

Offline hayley

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 10:52:16 PM »
All part of the service!  ;D

Offline inmythirties

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »
My view would be don't mention BPD. I now work full time but have not told my employer about 'BPD.'  have disclosed it to Occupational Health but only in the sense that I have this label and find it unhelpful, stigmatising and a way to dismiss my needs. I do talk in terms of long term mental health problems which have included anorexia and self harm. My line manager does know about the self harm but it was only when I trusted they wouldn't get rid of me was I honest in saying I needed a day off sick to get treatment or for time out to prevent a crisis.
The general public mostly haven't hard of BPD. I think that the NHS uses it against us too since it's such a fixed position they adopt about 'taking responsibility' rather than having real empathy.
In your application for voluntary work you can say about what you offer, the question of why are you available to volunteer may well come up later but it's fine to say you have been ill for quite a long time but now working on recovery eventually returning to work, but not for a good while.

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 07:57:37 PM »
I have handed the application in, I did not mention BPD but instead said I had Anxiety and Depression. The self harm is obvious as I am covered in scars.

Hash