Author Topic: Clothing issues at interview and working with teens  (Read 5790 times)

Offline socks

• 18+
  • First posts
Clothing issues at interview and working with teens
« on: July 10, 2014, 05:23:46 PM »
I pretty much haven't even thought about my scars for quite a while and live in short sleeves these days but I have two major things coming up that I need a bit of advice for.

I'm about to go away with a group of 15 to 18 year olds in a couple of weeks. It's two weeks of residential followed by three weeks of daily meetings and I'm the group's team leader. There's a lot of physical activities (climbing, kayaking, team building activities etc) and I don't know how I feel about my scars in a situation where there are teenagers. Should I cover up? Or don't cover up and don't talk about it or...?

My other issue is an interview for teacher training in a couple of weeks. I have a tattoo on one of my lower forearms so even without the scars I'd need something to cover that up while staying cool and looking professional. No idea what to do about it!

Any advice or opinions?

Offline ickle_shellie

• Bronze Member
Re: Clothing issues at interview and working with teens
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »
I guess you have a few options with the residential depending on how comfortable you feel. You can either cover up if you think you will be more comfortable and not get hot, you can not and then either they won't ask or they will. If they ask you can fake a story about an 'accident' or some such, or if you are comfortable speaking about your experiences you could talk to them about it honestly about SH and teach them, I dare say there would be at least one teenager there that has done it or considered it, that feels depressed. You might be able to help them? Obviously the choice is entirely yours.

With the interview all I can really suggest is a nice long sleeve shirt? Still look presentable and smart and cover the tattoo, if you wore lots of bracelets or wrist bands it might have the opposite affect but it depends on really their uniform policy and where abouts on your arm it actually is.

Hope that helps in some way, sorry if it didn't :)

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 07:17:42 PM »
You can get long sleeved shirts for the interview that are made from thin material. I believe I saw some in Asda the other day if that helps, but a lot of shops are doing them now because it's hot.
For the other thing I wouldn't worry about covering your scars in front of teenagers. I remember when I was at school many were self harming or considering it. It was a fashion trend at one point... As the other poster suggested you may be able to help someone else if they think you have experience with it.
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Je7

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 03:14:17 PM »
I've got a pair of sleeves that I wear when I'm volunteering and generally cover up. But it's totally a personal preference. It sounds awesome though :)

Offline inmythirties

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:10:19 AM »
Personally I do cover up scars always socially and at work except when at home. I tend to wear thinner sleeves, there were some shirts in Next including in the sale that looked like blouses but the sleeves were sheer.
I worry about showing scars in case people ask me about them especially at work or that they (wrongly) make an issue of it/talk to others about me. I would be honest though I am not sure of their responses, am not always feeling robust enough to take comments. 

For you it sounds like you are used to wearing short sleeves so there may not be reasons to change that around teenagers, and the activities will be very physical ones so it's appropriate. What is your role there and are you with a group that consist of employers/teachers who are assessing you with these teenagers? That again may influence your decision.

This group of teenagers may not notice, or be relaxed or feel for you (any or more of these reactions). It is a personal decision and okay whatever you go with. You should be proud of who you are and the great plans you have in terms of teacher training, you must have come a long way.

Interviews though for sure, best to find sleeved clothes then you can always take more 'risks' once your employer knows you and depending on context.