Author Topic: Family  (Read 5350 times)

Offline Pride

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
Family
« on: July 06, 2014, 12:26:02 AM »
Hi guys, me again.

So I've been staying with my dad the last couple of nights and I won't lie I've been really stressed out because of it. My dad and myself havnt had a great past anyway and so I expect coming up here to see him and his wife to be stressful but this time it's been particularly potently triggering. I've been fighting doing anything, mostly due to fear of repercussions and questions, but the thoughts are always there.

I always get grilled by him, his wife even more so, and it really gets to me but I can't tell him why that is of what it makes me want to do or how I even feel as he's very much a "pull yourself together and get over it" era remnant.  So I wanted to ask everyone here. What ways do you have of coping with this if you have similar experiences? And how do you go about telling someone how you feel, and that they're hurting you with what they're saying, without blurting out that you have a mental health issue?

As always thanks in advance.

Pride.
The Seven Deadly Sins are a part of us, don't fight them, accept them.

Offline Pride

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
Re: Family
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 01:06:58 AM »
Thank you for your reply I do appreciate it and it was helpful. Sadly however telling my father that something is bugging me or something that was upsetting normally constitutes a probing set of questions that never ends until he's satisfied, it's similar to being in a job interview or a hospital appointment really, which just makes it all worse. I keep trying to think of ways to tell him that what he and his wife say are tactless and lacking empathy and understanding but I just don't want the hassle any more.

I used to be, as a teenager, aloof and sarcastically standoffish or just back talk to them, you know typical teenager, however now I'm in my mid twenties I just don't care and just let the words hit me and stay clinical with it. Not really the kind of conversation you want to have with a parent but that's the only way I can deal with him most of the time. It's hard being able to talk to him after the past with him though I do cut him some slack now.

I really want to be able to tell hi how he made me feel when I was younger and even now but it seems easier to just go dead when I'm around him, not the healthiest relationship I know, but it's hard to tell someone I can't trust anything regarding my feelings.

Sorry for the rant there I think I went off topic a bit haha. Thanks again though.

Pride.

Offline Pride

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 12:00:21 AM »
I really hate how easily I want to turn to SH but ven more so how terrified I am I do it while I'm up here. Oh well I'll be back tomorrow and then I just need to not do it.

Offline Pride

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 03:56:27 PM »
Yeah i'm okay, thank you for the messages and i'm sorry that i didn't get back to you sooner, i've been really busy and stressed out lately.

I just read about the 7 minute barrier and i fully agree that it helps, so thank you for saying that. I have managed to go without SH-ing for the weekend and still havn't done it since last week so i'm happy about that. Things are still getting to me so i'm hoping that i can remain calm and fight through it using your 7 minute rule.

I think you're right about my dad though, i think that it might be best to stay as things are, things have got better and i think they're at a plateau right now and that's okay i guess.

Thank you for your advice, i do appreciate it and it does help so don't say you don't.