Author Topic: Really struggling to stay SH free  (Read 6311 times)

Offline Kixxy

• First posts
Really struggling to stay SH free
« on: March 03, 2014, 11:19:06 PM »
I've been really struggling recently.
I started self harming when I started sixth form for about 2 years, I've now been clean for around 2 and half years but it's getting hard now.
I'm in my final year of uni, my dissertation is due in about 2 months and its hard but my supervisor isn't much help. I also only have a few friends who aren't that close and don't speak to that often. I don't really have friends on my course, I use to but they no longer include me. I have difficulties with my housemates, one I do not get on with so avoid her, another really annoys me, I get on with the last one but we did have a disagreement last week when I asked her to do her cleaning, which she still hasn't done! The house is really dirty as no one cleans.
I've got 4 more months left till I finish uni and leave this house but I'm not sure how to last that long. Part of me really doesn't want to harm again as I'm proud of being 2.5 years clean but then I'm really wanting to cut again because of all the feelings.

I've got a counselling appointment this week, the first of about 6 at uni, but I haven't told any adults as normally they have to tell someone if you say you SH or want to, and worried what they would say.
I though I found a self harm support group and it turns out it no longer runs, and I can't seem to find any others.
I don't really know what to do and how to get through the next 4 months. Just kinda looking for some support or advice. Thanks

Offline Skye

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Really struggling to stay SH free
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 08:29:54 AM »
Hey  :welcome:
The last few months of uni life can be tough, you are ready to move on and live the way you want to live which doesn't always match up with those you share with. Try to put to one side the things that annoy you and concentrate on what's important to you and the completion of your degree. Hard but it will take the pressure off you.
Great that you have arranged counselling. What about making a list of things you feel you need support with? You are an adult. Counselling is confidential. Disclosure of self harm does not require anyone else to be alerted. You have done well to have come so far  :hug2:

Offline Kixxy

• First posts
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
Hey  :welcome:
The last few months of uni life can be tough, you are ready to move on and live the way you want to live which doesn't always match up with those you share with. Try to put to one side the things that annoy you and concentrate on what's important to you and the completion of your degree. Hard but it will take the pressure off you.
Great that you have arranged counselling. What about making a list of things you feel you need support with? You are an adult. Counselling is confidential. Disclosure of self harm does not require anyone else to be alerted. You have done well to have come so far  :hug2:

Thanks, I think this house makes it worse, my plan is to try and go back home as many weekends as I can to get out and have a few days away and hope that helps but I know I don't get as much work done when home, altho I don't get that much done here either!
I think one problem is I don't really know what I need, I'm kinda just wanting support, I've tried a bit of counselling before and it didn't go so well so I am a bit apprehensive!
So if I told them I use to self harm and am now having the 'feelings' again, what will they do? On the confidentiality sheet it said if your in danger of harming yourself the can break confidentiality, does self harm not fall under that?

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:52:51 PM »
If your over 18 then it should remain confidential... If they think you are a serious risk to yourself/others then they may inform other health professionals such as crisis team etc...

Who are you worried they will contact?
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 01:47:51 PM »
Usually, No.

Most people are happy to explain their own take on confidentiality. People I've seen before have voluntarily said where they draw the line. For example one person said as long as people are 'safe' then defined 'safe' as 'not dead' then he wouldn't. I'm sure that other people are a different matter. But no one has ever explained because I've never considered hurting someone else.

But a different pro said that they would break confidentiality if I didn't seek 'appropriate medical care'.

All people are slightly different. But I would think as Jewel said if you are 18, they can't contact parents etc. To be honest, usually if they tell someone it's one of the following
- police
- ambulance service
- crisis team
- another MH pro
- GP

they are not likely to start ringing friends and family
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline TodgerDodger

• First posts
    • TodgerDodger
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 12:00:28 PM »
 :hug1: Hiya I just wanted to say I really empathize with you I'm in my final year and really struggling at the moment too.

Offline Mixbe

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »
Just wanted to let you know your not alone. Uni + exams are doing me in too.  I'm having similar issues to you, it's really tricky finding a SH support group at uni, dose your uni have a 'Nightline' or confidential support telephone service thing you could use.  I must say i rely on this forum.

:hug2:

x
I don't want to sleep. It will only bring the day around quicker.