The NSHN Forum

Back to NSHN Mainsite   
News: Welcome to the NSHN Forums - members will find many more rooms accessible inside, so feel free to come and join us.
NSHN is a support site, a safe environment to help each other  understand the mechanisms resulting in self harm and cope with it and related problems. With this objective in mind, NSHN hopes to reduce the incidence and severity of any form of self harm and improve general awareness throughout the community.
Our membership includes those that self injure, their friends and family and other support groups.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. July 30, 2014, 02:07:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Living alone...  (Read 477 times)
LittleSquirrel
18+
First posts

Don't compromise yourself, it's all you've got.

« on: June 01, 2012, 08:52:57 AM »

So, I've been in residential care for just under a year now. Prior to this, I was in hospital for about 2 years. I'm going to be moving on and living on my own again within the next month!! I am excited, proud of myself etc. but I am absolutely bricking it, worried that I will fail and have lost a lot of confidence in myself.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good resources, books etc. that I can buy to have a read through about living alone? The thing I struggle with most is isolation and being in my own company - it's pretty much a phobia and something I am going to have to work on. If anyone can suggest anything that I could read etc. that would be great.

Thanks guys!

"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you."
Reeta
18+
Usually here

Faulty genes

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 11:56:42 AM »

I honestly think its just one of those things you have to do, you cant really prepare for the feeling of it.
Spanna
18+
Usually here

"Our lives are like a candle in the wind"

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:19:49 PM »

I honestly think its just one of those things you have to do, you cant really prepare for the feeling of it.

+1 to what Reeta has said.

On the other hand there are resources out there that may be able to offer a little bit of guidance. Maybe have a look at this: http://www.wikihow.com/Move-Out-of-Home-Into-Your-First-Apartment and this one, which is releating to University students but the principles are the same: http://au.reachout.com/find/articles/moving-away-to-attend-university

Samaritans 08457 909090

skipping shaun < one day the skipping sheep will get on Britain's Got Talent :D

Can you imagine that I am sitting next to you, giving you a hug?  I am sending good thoughts your way. 
Spanna
18+
Usually here

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »

Just come across this book too: http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=moving+away+from+home&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1252&bih=549&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15301295541727265554&sa=X&ei=lHXKT5uNFMrf8APPqNjrDw&ved=0CGcQ8wIwAA

Samaritans 08457 909090

Can you imagine that I am sitting next to you, giving you a hug?  I am sending good thoughts your way. 
LittleSquirrel
18+
First posts

Don't compromise yourself, it's all you've got.

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 09:34:38 PM »

Cool, thanks Smiley

"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you."
Spanna
18+
Usually here

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 10:13:59 PM »

It's a pleasure, just hope it helps  littlehug2

I was in your boat 3 years ago now and it wasn't at all easy so I understand your worries perfectly  littlehug2

Samaritans 08457 909090

happy girl
18+
Usually here

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:29:51 AM »

Reeta is right hun.  But you can prepare for those moments when being alone may become tricky. Do you read ? Can you buy some good books, reading is the best form of escapism, and helps you forget that you are alone if you can get into a good plot. What about films, could you get some good dvd's ready to put on if you feel alone ? What about an indoor hobby, knitting ( don't laugh, it takes concentration and takes over your thoughts and concentration for a while) good luck love, keep us posted x

Once you kill a cow, you gotta make a burger....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: