Author Topic: Experience of CAMHS  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Mocha

• 18+
  • Usually here
Experience of CAMHS
« on: June 12, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »
Hallo!

Am going to be starting a new job next month working within an inpatient CAMHS unit. Am moving from forensic services so is a huge transition but feeling confident I can adapt and they must think I'm up to it to give me the job!!

Am looking for some feedback and experiences really of CAMHS that people have had both assessment,community and inpatient services. There is a particular focus upon eating disorders so that as well of relevant. They utilise initially representation as a way of encouraging diet and am eager to learn more about the experience of this as very different to other re-feeding programmes I've worked in.

Just looking for difficulties or things that caused significant stress or distress? Things that helped/things that didn't? Biggest impact of being away from home? Fears and thoughts on contact with services? Family/friend reactions? Anything basically!
Am just wanting to go in with a good depth of awareness.much appreciated and thanks in advance!

Should add my role is as a mental health nurse!
Remember, there are no mistakes, only lessons :)

Offline babylon5

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Experience of CAMHS
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »
i volintaraly went in last year (either that or be forced to go) i loved the nurse's they were kind what i didnt like was being constantly watched not being allowed to scratch my wounds i was only in because i was very suicidal not for harming, i didnt like the thought that i may never be allowed out of the unit,
what distressed me the most was all my pencils were taken from me so i couldnt do the one thing that would have relaxed me which at the time was drawing

hope this is what you were after emma if not feel free to ask mods to delete my reply
and good luck in the new job hun :hug1:

Offline greenday

• Usually here
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 08:13:35 AM »
hi ya ive not been in a unit but i did go to hospital like 6 times and i just dont think its good but try your hardest anyway  :thumbsup: :yep:

Offline squiggle

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • smile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »
I've been in an adult unit, not CAMHS but I imagine they're similar.

The nurses were great, I think the best ones were the ones that treated you like a person, not a mental health condition. I was in for ~3 months after an OD that landed me in a coma in the ICU. I liked the ones that spent time just chatting, or playing games with you, because despite being surrounded by people it can be VERY lonely and isolating in those places. I know the nurses have a lot of paperwork, but I really appreciated the ones that made time for me. I remember once I was having a really bad day, and I was told that if I felt suicidal/like i was going to sh that I should talk to someone. I approached my favourite nurse and asked if I could have a chat with her, she said 'sorry, I'm really busy' and walked away. I have a lot of trouble asking for help, and when I did they just ignored it. Oh another this that didn't help - a nurse coming up to me and telling me to stop playing about and just eat my food (I have had anorexia in the past and am currently dx'd EDNOS, having all my coping mechanisms taken away from hospital resulted in a nasty flair up of the ED and I absolutely refused to eat until I collapsed). I physically couldn't bring myself to eat, feeling like they blamed me for that was very counterproductive. Things that did help - taking my worries seriously even if they seem petty (everything is magnified in that environment), listening, being encouraging, being honest and realistic about the length of treatment (I was initially told I'd only be in for a week or less)
Stress - other patients, the noise, the constant alarms, being on 24hr obs.

I've also been through the CAMHS outpatient system, can't say much about it, it was easy to get away with lying about my weight, hiding weights, water loading etc, i refused to engage so it didn't really help me. I assume that it won't be as easy to trick the scales in an inpatient setting.

If there are any more questions that you have send me a pm or something
x
The average pencil is seven inches long, with just a half-inch eraser - in case you thought optimism was dead.
Robert Brault
My Blog - http://wp.me/2MX7h

Offline greenday

• Usually here
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »
im so sorry it was that bad but hope your ok  :hug1: