The NSHN Forum

Back to NSHN Mainsite   
News: Welcome to The NSHN Forums - members have access to more rooms inside, so feel free to come and join us.
NSHN is a support site, a safe environment to help each other  understand the mechanisms resulting in self harm and cope with it and related problems. With this objective in mind, NSHN hopes to reduce the incidence and severity of any form of self harm and improve general awareness throughout the community.
Our membership includes those that self injure, their friends and family and other support groups.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 02, 2014, 01:26:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about MH and teaching  (Read 355 times)
Tree
18+
Gold Member

« on: May 11, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »

Hi all,

I'm not sure, if this is in the correct room, please feel free to move!

I am currently finishing my PGCE (teacher training) year and have just accepted a job teaching in year 2 next year. I am very excited about this, but also worried because of the medical check that I will be required to do. I have done these checks before and been refused jobs in schools because of my MH problems. I know I will have to lie on the form (and say I have no MH problems) for there to be any chance of me being able to work. I don't like lying, but it really is the only way. I am worried, though, that they will write to my doctor anyway, and then there's no way I will be able to teach. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks,

Tree xxx

\'For a tree to become tall it must grow tough roots amoung the rocks.\' Nietzsche.
babylady
18+
Usually here

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 04:42:47 PM »

I don't think lying is wort the risk to be honest.
Either your MH problems are no problem with working with children ar tey are.
If they are not related and will not be any risk in working with children, you will not be stopped.  I was totally cleared to work with vulnerable adults and newborn babies with uni and the hospital being fully aware of my MH issues.  All that disclosing did was open me up to further support including counselling and readjusting of hours.
You are right that if you lie, and are caught, that is your career over.  Can you guarentee that you will now be totally stable forever more and not need any support at all?  Because if you have further MH problems in the future, that fact that you have lied will be apparent.
It is possible to work in these areas.  You can be a worthwhile, safe and enjoy a career with MH problems.  Just depends on what they are, and I would think, the fact that you have been offered a job and managed to complete your training shows a whole load of strength and ability.  Don't risk ruining your chances now.  Teachers with MH issues, no problem (when my daughter was in yr1, her teacher had evident MH/depression issues, took time off, but also one of the best teachers she had, encoraging her to be an excellent reader and giving her masses of confidence).  A lying teacher simply isn't as acceptable in my opinion.
Tree
18+
Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »

Hi babylady,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with what you're saying, especially about a lying teacher, that isn't right.

However... the problem is that I have never been diagnosed with MH problems, I function too normally for that apparently. BUT, when I have been honest on these forms before (when applying for a teaching assistant job) I was stopped because of my MH, even though they refused to diagnose or treat me. I don't believe I am any risk to anyone but myself, and if I ever did think I was I would stop teaching immediately. Since I was last refused to work (because of SH and ODs) I have hurt myself more and also ODed several times more. I am therefore worried that if I am honest, there's no way they'll clear me...

It's tricky :S

Tree xxx

\'For a tree to become tall it must grow tough roots amoung the rocks.\' Nietzsche.
babylady
18+
Usually here

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 05:07:32 PM »

It is a tricky one.  You clearly have some MH issues and it is a great shame that you have not been offered a diagnoses and therfore I expect denied the treatment and support you deserve.

I also understand how it is to be so passionate about a career and the need to be doing it feels far more beneficial than not and without having a 'formal' diagnoses, you haven't legally got anything to disclose, I would have thought.

I'm not really sure where you stand to be honest.  Is there anyway you could discuss this with someone like a mind advocate? Or CAB?  I wish I had some answers for you. x
Tree
18+
Gold Member

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »

What's CAB? I suppose I could try to get in touch with Mind in my local area.

A lying teacher simply isn't as acceptable in my opinion.

I had to lie to get on to the PGCE course in the first place... so essentially I have already done wrong. Makes me feel awful Sad

Tree xxx

babylady
18+
Usually here

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 06:24:54 PM »

Making you feel awful was not my intention and I really am so very sorry. Cab is citizens advice bureau. Om not sure if they can help directly bit should help to find you the right place for the best advice. I know I would be gutted to think midwifery is not an option for me and I really wish you the best. X
Tree
18+
Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 06:29:58 PM »

littlehug1 Don't worry, I only feel awful because I know you're right...

Thank you for your help Smiley

Tree xxx

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: