The NSHN Forum

Back to NSHN Mainsite   
News: New members: please note that all new applications are manually checked for member safety. It can take up to 24 hrs for new accounts to be approved. When approved you will be emailed with your activation link, and after you activate your account you can then post and see additional rooms. You must have a valid email address to receive your activation link.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 27, 2014, 08:01:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sh and painkillers *mt*  (Read 412 times)
hidden tears
18+
Usually here

« on: March 27, 2012, 10:48:15 PM »

I don't know whether this is in the right place, if not please feel free to move.

The lady I live with has managed to persuade me this eve to take some painkillers, because it would make her feel better. I said I didn't deserve it or feel like I should as its my own fault, but she said she finds it really hard to see me clearly in pain when I can do something about it and that if to have sh in the first place Im clearly in a difficult place and need to look after myself/let other people look after me (one way being taking painkillers).

I was wondering what other peoples thoughts were on taking painkillers after having sh?  Have you ever taken them? Would you suggest it to anyone else?

I don't feel like I should take them, because, well it just feels wrong. However, I wouldn't want somebody else to be in pain and would offer/encourage my patients to take them if they were in pain whatever the cause (including sh). I think its one of those things where its a case of one rule for me and one rule for everyone else  whistler

*I lock away the pain and put away my fears, show you only my smiles and not my hidden tears *

*I like walking in the rain because no one knows Im crying*

Behind the mask....a silent scream....a hidden tear
5u2
18+
Usually here

I wish I could be normal

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 12:22:43 AM »

Hey.

I see SH as a spur of the moment type of thing. That you want to feel soooo much pain straight away, and afterwards I always feel like a bit of a doughnut because it still hurts and the moment has passed. So I generally take painkillers, because I think, if I feel better mentally, I should allow myself to feel better physically.

Hope this helped.
Look after yourself - if you need painkillers, take them. Even though it's self inflicted, you still deserve pain-relief. Smiley

*Hugs*
xxx

xxxSuZyxxx
Terri
Smurf
NSHN Moderator
Always here

Redemption.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:39:55 AM »

Hey.

I don't remember ever taking painkillers for SH. I remember, after I'd had a skin graft, my Mum asking me to take some because I was obviously in pain (I was limping), but even then I couldn't bring myself to. Partially because I didn't think I deserved to, but also partly because I found the pain comforting.

I would encourage others to do so though. Like you, ht, I guess it's a "one rule for me, one rule for everyone else" thing. Other people are nice, don't deserve pain etc.

A sensible thing my old CPN did when I was refusing pain meds was to remind me that being in physical pain can have a negative impact on mental health. Being in discomfort can make you feel 100x worse so getting the pain under control may well have a positive effect emotionally. I can now see that that's very sensible, even if I couldn't at the time.

I think you've done a really positive thing by taking pain killers. littlehug2

superman
Super Terri!

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.
greenday
Usually here

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:46:16 AM »

i havent ever taken them but it seem to be a good idie tiny dog
Hash
18+
Usually here

Freedom is reachable

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »

I tiook painkillers when I had done something major which meant the pain happened over a matter of days. I think it is a good thing to take painkillers when you need them its a way of looking after yourself.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: