The NSHN Forum

Back to NSHN Mainsite   
News: New members: please note that all new applications are manually checked for member safety. It can take up to 24 hrs for new accounts to be approved. When approved you will be emailed with your activation link, and after you activate your account you can then post and see additional rooms. You must have a valid email address to receive your activation link.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 25, 2014, 04:59:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: confused, upset and bewildered mum  (Read 2392 times)
annemh
First posts

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 09:15:27 PM »

Hi all, well after 5 days in hospital my daughter seems to have stabilised, she is not been sent to a psychiatric unit and the doctors hope to send her home tomorrow or Tuesday, her mood seems to be a little better and the extreme mood swings are settling down. This all sounds great but I am worried, I have been advised by her physiatrist to throw away all her self harming tools so that is she wants to harm herself (which she says she needs to do) then she will have to have a fresh start and get new tools, also I have been advised to block her usage of the blogging site that she uses to view images of self harm and eating disorders and to contact others who are self harming, I have viewed this site and I must admit the images on ther are extreme. Ok I can do this but I am so worried that in doing it I am removing her control and choices but if she continues as she is going the doctors are threatening to section her. I am also scared that even though she has been under assessment for the last 3days that the moment she returns home she will be back to square 1 and try to take her own life again  I really need to hear your advice.
justine
18+
Usually here

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 10:30:12 AM »

Good that her mood is better. I'd go with throwing away the tools once, but if she finds more then leave it and let her keep them. Of course don't tell her this, but tell her your throwing away her tools this time. Is she on any medication? Or councilling? she sounds like she still needs help. IF they haven't given her any, I'd push for it, even if she seems ok now, as it can take time on waiting lists.

The website sounds really nasty, I've heard of those and they are nothing but bad new. Definitely block it, it's only encouraging her to hurt herself. Perhaps suggest this site to her? much better for support Smiley I guess she needed a place where people could understand her, which that was, but this also is but much better as we kinda encourage to stop.

You may be removing her control once, but it's only once. And she is then given the freedom and choice if she wants to pick it up again, or get better.

Keep a close eye on her. Don't remove her privacy or anything, but make sure you are around as much as you can be, and always there for her. Don't be afraid to ask her how she is feeling, and give lots of hugs.

If you feel like life is a dark, worthless place, please know that you have just fallen down a hole and that impossible as it seems, you can climb out again, and see that life is really a beautiful place to be

http://www.nshn.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=74073.msg1702918#new
annemh
First posts

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 10:45:50 PM »

My daughter is now back home, she is on Prozac and at the mo she is also taking an antipsychotic at night to help with her agitation and sleep. We also have a physiatrist nurse seeing her twice a week and an action for children worker coming to see her every other day, my daughter is not having councilling yet as she is finding difficult to communicate. The first two days out of hospital she was on a high but today she has slumped slightly and feels down again but she has been eating which is fantastic and as far as I am aware she has not SH since leaving hospital three days ago, in fact she handed over her tools to me and asked me to throw them away, I think that so far she has been so brave especially as she told me and her doctor that getting rid of her tools made her very stressed. I am trying to be aware of any significant mood changes and I think she knows she can tell me if she feels really bad. I know it's baby steps and we have to take each day as it comes but I hope and pray that I never have a week like last week
Thank you all for your support it's really helped and justine your an  angel ...

rob arrow edited out dosage as per site rules Smiley
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:20:47 PM by Rob » Logged
justine
18+
Usually here

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 10:07:49 AM »

that's ok  big hug as she is getting help hopefully your over the worst of it. Self harm and suicide attempts can be a way of communicationg to others that you need help, and now your daughter is getting lots of help she should be ok  big hug

If you feel like life is a dark, worthless place, please know that you have just fallen down a hole and that impossible as it seems, you can climb out again, and see that life is really a beautiful place to be

annemh
First posts

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »

Daughters mood is heading back down hill fast... She says she's not safe and has been throwing up and SH again... She's asking to go into a psychiatric unit and I am at my wits end ... Nurse due round in a bit, I just hope she can get through to my daughter .... I just want to break down I don't know how to help my daughter anymore, no matter what I do I feel I am going wrong ...... Sorry just needed to get that out  Sad
billy
18+
Usually here

save a life love an emo kid!

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »

littlehug1 I hope the nearse can help.

"evrything can be recycled except time!"

"evrything will be ok in the end
if its not ok
its not the end!"

"remember when we were YOUNG and couldn't wait to grow up? ...WOW, what the hell were we thinking!?!?"
justine
18+
Usually here

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 08:43:53 PM »

that's ok, talk all you want here. How'd it go with the nurse?

As your daughter is saying she needs help that's a good sign, because you know about it and you can get her help, and hopefully, she will accept it.

big hug big hug big hug

annemh
First posts

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 12:54:48 AM »

Nurse came and my daughter talked to her, bit of a first really as up until now she has refused to explain to any medical people how she actually feels. After the visit from the nurse my daughter said she felt much better and even ate some dinner and kept it down ... It's really strange but I seem to be living with two daughters at the mo, one moment she's almost cheerfully and half an hour later she doesn't want to live .... I am exhausted .... I am also worried about the amount my daughters cutting, it seems so excessive and I know it's silly to think so far ahead at the mo but I am worried about how much she I going to scar herself, her arms are a mess. I just hope the meds start to work soon befor I go over the edge.
Thank you all for been here I really appreciate it .... Not sure how I would be without your kind and helpfully words.
billy
18+
Usually here

save a life love an emo kid!

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 08:02:56 PM »

With prozac you need toake it at pritty musch the same time everyday or you get your mood dropping. Also I know this is not what you want to hear but it took me three mounths befor prozac started to work

rob arrow edited for text speak
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:10:14 PM by Alison » Logged

"evrything can be recycled except time!"

"evrything will be ok in the end
if its not ok
its not the end!"

"remember when we were YOUNG and couldn't wait to grow up? ...WOW, what the hell were we thinking!?!?"
justine
18+
Usually here

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 11:52:19 PM »

I'm glad it went well with the nurse  big hug it's not over yet, but it sounds like the worst of it is over. I wouldn't worry about the scars. They can mean different things to different people. Personally I'm glad I have mine and would never get rid of them, but then they are not on public display so...

Anyway, Things sound good. Self harm is better than suicide, and your daughter sounds like she is getting the right help, and more imprtantly she's accepting it and helping herself which trust me, can take years for a person to do. I hope all continues to go well  big hug

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: