Author Topic: Bank charges not allowed on certain benefits  (Read 5862 times)

Offline Savannah

• 18+
  • Always here
Bank charges not allowed on certain benefits
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »
Banks can not apply any charges to money received as benefit http://t.co/1pCWCU7e They have basically been taking money illeagally for years”

Great news if you go over drawn n are on benefits!
Last SH - 15/05/10
Last OD - 21/02/10
Last Sui - 04/05/10

Offline bernie

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Bank charges not allowed on certain benefits
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:49:24 PM »
I know that if housing benefit is paid into so account the bank cannot take this money if it is to pay rent. They do though but you have to tell them that it is housing benefit. There is a standard letter you can write. CAB should know about it.

Offline Dragon

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • :rock:
    • my blog
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:14:14 PM »
 :>:(:  Comments like that really annoy me!

I wouldn't exactly say it is great news as they money still has to be paid.  It clearly says that banks can't use benefit money to pay off charges, it doesn't stop banks taking action to recover money.

*toddles off in a mood*
All it needs to do is to finish off:

This is not just hot chocolate
This is Dragon's hot chocolate...

;D

Time moves so slowly without you, until we meet again

nuhnuh

Offline Savannah

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 08:11:02 AM »
:>:(:  Comments like that really annoy me!

I wouldn't exactly say it is great news as they money still has to be paid.  It clearly says that banks can't use benefit money to pay off charges, it doesn't stop banks taking action to recover money.

*toddles off in a mood*

I didn't realise they send people after you to get the money. I don't understand it as I've never had to do it. Just saw it n thought someone might find it useful. Sorry.
Last SH - 15/05/10
Last OD - 21/02/10
Last Sui - 04/05/10

Offline danceforabeat

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:08:38 PM »
They're not supposed to but they do it anyway. I used to be a CAB adviser and actually phoned a particular bank about it, quoted the legislation and the guy I spoke said something along the lines of not knowing where particular deposits have come from/what they are etc. Which of course makes no sense given that they produce statements that clearly set out what each transaction is.

Of course for Housing Benefit one way around it is to request that it is paid directly to the landlord (unless you have a reason not to like the landlord is not getting repairs done etc. or a similar dispute). The regulations regarding direct payment were relaxed (again) last April, but you would still have to make a written request to the local authority.