The NSHN Forum

Back to NSHN Mainsite   
News: Privacy - if you don't want your email address seen on your posts on the public boards, please remember to tick the 'hide email address' box in your profile.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 24, 2014, 09:31:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hospital Admission  (Read 843 times)
Hullaballo
First posts

« on: November 17, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »

I have recently been taken out of school (OD) and the pyschyatrists did recommend hospital. I know I cannot stay at home as I am unsafe and have thoughts of suicide, running away, etc. I think hospital could be for the best but my mum is very against the idea and said it'd be horrible for her. Surely it is better for her to be upset by my admission than something like SH but she really wants me to be at home. She doesn't know how bad this is getting and it is hardly like I can go up to her and say, "Mum, I'm going to run away" or anything. The SH is getting worse, I hide it from her when I have stitches and medical attention. I feel that for me it is either hospital or suicide. I really think I should go but she thinks it is only for her sake that I want to go, which isn't the case although I genuinely think it'd benefit her and my twelve year old brother too. If there people who are familar with hospital, either themselves or family, I would like to hear your point of view. ???
Jewel
18+
Usually here

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »

Welcome to the site xx

sounds like you've been going through a lot lately; it's tough to explain to family exactly how your feeling sometimes... 

I've been into hospital a few times and personally I don't think it's the best place to get better.. it certainly should be the last option.. what sort of support do you have at the moment.. ? 

keep talking xx

Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..
hidden tears
18+
Usually here

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 07:17:14 PM »

Firstly I'm sorry you are feeling so desperate. It's a horrible place to be but I will say however black things seem there is a way out of the darkness other than suicide.  littlehug2

Hospital is a last resort and isn't a particularly nice place to be, however it does have its place and serve it's purpose. I will also say that adolescent units are better and more recovery/treatment focused than adult wards. If you can't envisage a way to keep safe at home, by using your parents and any other support available in the community then hospital might be where you need to be.

I think your Mum, ultimately, would rather know you are safe and recieving help. I think your Mum not wanting you in hospital is natural....She loves you are cares for you and wants to continue being able to do that. Do you think maybe letting your Mum know how bad things are (severity of sh and thoughts of suicide), maybe with support from dr/school etc, might help her to understand why hospital is being suggested and either accept it or open up the opportunity for her to support you and help you maintain your safety at home?   

*I lock away the pain and put away my fears, show you only my smiles and not my hidden tears *

*I like walking in the rain because no one knows Im crying*

Behind the mask....a silent scream....a hidden tear
Hullaballo
First posts

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 04:17:44 PM »

Thankyou, hidden tears and bluegem. I am getting support from an early intervention team and a CBT. Before the OD I did spend two days in the Norwich and Norfolk childrens ward because I wasn't safe and that definately was the right thing to do at that time. I know a psychyatric ward'd be different but it does seem like a good idea, especially as it has been recommended already. My CBT called my mum to tell her of the thoughts of running away and suicide, which to be honest I was upset about. She tries to keep me safe by making sure I However, I use other things to cut which are more harmful and easier to hide. I love her but I find her difficult to be around, as I imagine she feels about me. She gets frustrated about my paranoia and need to order things. Thankyou for your help xx mademyday
hidden tears
18+
Usually here

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:02:09 PM »

It's interesting that you spent time on a children's ward to keep safe. It's surprising you didnt get admitted to a psych ward at that point really. How recently has hospital been mentioned? Maybe you need to have a good, honest talk to your care team about how things are at home, whether there is any more intensive support available in the community and whether they feel that hospital is really the best option for you (as although it has its advantages it also has disadvantages, and isn't a fool proof method of keeping safe).

I can understand how you would be upset about your cbt calling your mum, but it is only because she has a duty of care and if you are under 16 (or actually for all intensive purposes 18) then if you are felt to be a risk to yourself they have to inform your parents. Its hard though, and having had similar occur when I was 16 (my GP rang them to tell them that I was suicidal and that she was concerned about me and had sent me for an urgent camhs assessment) I can understand your frustration.
Is your Mum being offered any support in relation to your issues and how best to support you? Do you think that might help?

Take care, try and stay safe....there is usually people around on here ( crisis room/ here n now room) if you need to post for support and there are lots of distractions and games around on the site. Theres also the samaritans/childline if you want someone to talk to. Theres a way through this  littlehug1

*I lock away the pain and put away my fears, show you only my smiles and not my hidden tears *

*I like walking in the rain because no one knows Im crying*

Behind the mask....a silent scream....a hidden tear
Louise
18+
Always here

Kiss me properly and pull me apart

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 01:36:43 AM »

All I would honestly say is that adult psych wards are frightening and unpleasant, in my personal experience.

They are helpful to certain individuals who are unable to manage their own mediation or who pose a danger to the community, but they are definitely not the 'weapon of choice'.

If it is being suggested that you should be admitted to one, you should know what you precise diagnosis is, and why they feel an inpantient admission is the only way to manage it.

There are many here among us
Who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I, we've been through that
And this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: