The NSHN Forum

Back to NSHN Mainsite   
News: Privacy - if you don't want your email address seen on your posts on the public boards, please remember to tick the 'hide email address' box in your profile.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. July 22, 2014, 02:23:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction from a new member  (Read 1167 times)
DeeHants
« on: July 16, 2010, 05:01:56 PM »

Hi all.

I've just joined this forum as my partner.. practices(?) self harming and she cut herself last night with me in the house so I have decided to try and seek some help and support (for both of us).
We've been together (on and off due to her depression) for 7 months now, and I know she has self harmed in the past, but has recently started again.

When we found her, all I could do was just hold her tight (someone else cleaned up her legs) and constantly reassure her that it was nothing to be ashamed or sorry about.

On reading this site, it seems to be the right thing to do, but is there much I could have done to help beforehand?

Thankfully, she said that me being there afterwards has helped her a lot, and it's helped me to understand it a bit better.

--
Deanna
coco
18+
Usually here

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »

welcome to the site i hope it helps both of you littlehug1
Blu
18+
Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 05:36:44 PM »

Hi, I hope the site helps you
I think it's great that you are being supportive of your partner. I think that the best thing you can do for her is to be there for her to talk to. It might also be a good idea also to encourage her to talk to a professional (if she isn't already)
 littlehug2
Keep it up, it sounds like you're giving her the support she needs Smiley
Xx

"Damn tomorrow, live for today" - Orsini from Donizetti's 'Lucrezia Borgia'
----------------------------------------------------------------
"these are councillors/that feelingly persuade me what I am. Sweet are the uses of adversity" - Act II Scene I, The Duke, As You Like It, William Shakespeare
billy
18+
Usually here

save a life love an emo kid!

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »

big hug big hug welcome its sounds like u are being a really gate partner. x x x x x x  x x

x x x x x x x  xx  x x x x x

hear to listen xx x x x

"evrything can be recycled except time!"

"evrything will be ok in the end
if its not ok
its not the end!"

"remember when we were YOUNG and couldn't wait to grow up? ...WOW, what the hell were we thinking!?!?"
willow
18+
Usually here

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 06:09:12 PM »

hello    I think it's great that you are being so supportive, it must have really reassured her last night to have you there and for you to react in the way you did. littlehug2. Hope you both manage to find some support on here. x

The quiet scares me because it screams the truth
DeeHants
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 10:26:44 PM »

Thanks everyone.
I haven't yet told her about here but it's good to know there is support out there.

She missed her initial appointment so is trying to get another referral so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again everyone *hugs*
billy
18+
Usually here

save a life love an emo kid!

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 10:30:22 PM »

big hug big hug big hug big hug

i think ur being so supportive x xx x x x

hear to listen x x x x

"evrything can be recycled except time!"

"evrything will be ok in the end
if its not ok
its not the end!"

"remember when we were YOUNG and couldn't wait to grow up? ...WOW, what the hell were we thinking!?!?"
Yoshi
18+
Usually here

A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 10:32:20 PM »

Welcome to the site, I hope you get what you want from it.

"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: