The NSHN Forum

Back to NSHN Mainsite   
News: New members: please note that all new applications are manually checked for member safety. It can take up to 24 hrs for new accounts to be approved. When approved you will be emailed with your activation link, and after you activate your account you can then post and see additional rooms. You must have a valid email address to receive your activation link.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2014, 09:00:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How were you told about your loved ones' SH? *mt*  (Read 3763 times)
eagleray
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 02:44:00 AM »

My daughter had avoided seeing me for a couple of years saying I was boring (I'm divorced from her mum who lives an "alternative" lifestyle), I was worried but both her and her mum told me she was fine. Out of the blue I had a call from some awful people who told me she'd run away from home and demanding money to stop her self harming. Fortunately she then moved in with me and was fine for three years although she is currently SH'ing in second year at uni which is a huge worry. She won't speak to my ex and refuses to let me sit in on her psych meetings because she thinks I'll do something stupid to my ex (I'm remarried with other children and don't really think about her), which makes me worry more. Like other posters the earlier you tell the better as that lets those who love you help you earlier !
Storm Dust
18+
Usually here

Residue of the storm...

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 08:01:42 PM »

My parents found out when I was 14 cus the school found out and told them.

I made them think it was a phase I was going through and it was never bought up again until I was 19 and admitted to a psych ward. My CPN had to call them, ask them to come to the hospital and explain it all to them.
It was an awful way for them to have found out and I really wish I had been able to tell them myself. My poor parents.  Sad

It doesn't matter whether the glass is half full or half empty. There is clearly room for more vodka.
Jinxi
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 08:17:32 PM »

A school friend saw blood on my sleeve one day and went to the head of year. She then phoned my mum, who, bless her, had no idea and nearly crashed the car (this was a long time ago, when mobiles were only really quite new).

I'm sorry I didn't pre-empt this but I really didn't want anyone to know.

Nowadays, there's only really scarring to worry about, barring the odd scratch. If 'm close enough to someone, they'll eventually notice the scars - or will figure out there's some reason I hate my arms and keep em hidden. If I'm close enough to someone, I'll explain.

With boyfriends etc I'll hide it and hide it for as long as possible. If they're worth sticking with, I'll be upfront in a 'there's something you should know...' way.

I think write him a letter and give it face to face if possible... if he's not the one causing the problems, make it clear from the outset that you're not blaming him and that you just want support - and I'm sure he'll take it as well as can be expected.

Good luck

Jxox
Sofie
18+
Usually here

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 09:51:51 PM »

I told my parents about this year's episodes - I thought the friend did. (because he said he did) it turns out he'd told them something else.
CharlieCash
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 08:37:11 PM »

hey
Saw friction harms on my daughters legs and then eventually harms on her hand that was 5 years ago, she still sh but i have always been there for her, not an easy journey but if you love someone you love them unconditionally. x
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: