The NSHN Forum

Back to NSHN Mainsite   
News: Welcome to The NSHN Forums - members have access to more rooms inside, so feel free to come and join us.
NSHN is a support site, a safe environment to help each other  understand the mechanisms resulting in self harm and cope with it and related problems. With this objective in mind, NSHN hopes to reduce the incidence and severity of any form of self harm and improve general awareness throughout the community.
Our membership includes those that self injure, their friends and family and other support groups.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. December 18, 2014, 05:36:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What can I tell my daughters when I've harmed? *si trig?*  (Read 3483 times)
Nocebo
« on: March 04, 2009, 05:01:33 PM »

I've resisted the urge to hurt my arms for 2 years now, but I've been feeling increasingly rubbish and I can't say that I won't hurt myself again.

They are used to seeing my scarred arms and I think they just see my scarred skin as mine. Not different.

What can I possibly tell them if I wound? Hiding forearms is very difficult.

My girls are aged 4yrs and [almost] 7yrs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thankyou Smiley

~Nocebo~
Lwona
18+
Usually here

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »

Heya littlehug1 Before resigning yourself to the fact that you *will* harm, can you go through all the alternatives? Do you have support with SH matters? x

< Lily Grin
invisiblyyyT < Invisti-Billy. Grin
< Buzz Grin
piano < Little Red Dude
< Ruby Grin
Nocebo
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:15:59 PM »

I'm not saying that I WILL harm...but I can accept the fact that its a possibilty.
aurora
18+
Usually here

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:43:57 AM »

Do your daughters know the cause of your scars? Because if they do then you could possibly tell them the truth.

Are you having any support at the moment? If not perhaps, if you feel the sh is a (imminent) possibility a trip to your gp could be on the cards?
In regards to saying things to your daughters, would using dressings be an option, just something to cover the fresh ones, then you could say that you harmt your arm on the oven or something along those lines?
xx

Watch me fault her, you're living like a disaster
Hedgehog
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:35:47 AM »

I would avoid lying to them they are probably much more aware than you realise.
Shinigami
18+
Usually here

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 11:24:46 PM »

I think children are a lot more aware than we adults give them credit for. They can tell when they're being lied to even though we think we're doing a good job at it. I think something to think about in this sort of situation is do you want your children to be growing up in an atmosphere of deception? Is there an explanation that you could give them which is truthful while shielding them from the worst of reality? I think if you are honest about problems with them then they will see that it's ok to ask for support when they need it when they get older.

-I want you to know, I want you to see, I want you to look beyond your own eyes, past your afflictions
billy
18+
Usually here

save a life love an emo kid!

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 12:11:24 PM »

maby if you just brought it up in normal convo one day, they might ask question but they will ask what they want to know. sorry thats not much help. x

"evrything can be recycled except time!"

"evrything will be ok in the end
if its not ok
its not the end!"

"remember when we were YOUNG and couldn't wait to grow up? ...WOW, what the hell were we thinking!?!?"
ConradTheWoollyLlama
18+
Bronze Member

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 10:16:34 PM »

Maybe it's best to wait until this comes up?
They might not even ask =] sometimes kids have more tact than we credit them for!
There's nothing to say you will harm either. Two years is an amazing achievement ^_^ so congrats for that!

Let me strip off your logic and reasoning and make hot passionate sense to you
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: