The NSHN Forum

Back to NSHN Mainsite   
News: Privacy - if you don't want your email address seen on your posts on the public boards, please remember to tick the 'hide email address' box in your profile.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. December 22, 2014, 12:33:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hearing Voices  (Read 5429 times)
Terri
Smurf
NSHN Moderator
Always here

Redemption.

« on: January 16, 2009, 02:58:53 PM »

Hearing voices (otherwise knows as auditory hallucinations) can be very distressing. Here are a few resources that might help:

http://www.nnt.nhs.uk/mh/leaflets/Hearing%20Voices.pdf <----- A very useful leaflet produced by the NHS. It contains information about how to cope if you are hearing voices and has space for you to write your own ideas.

http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Booklets/Other/The+voice+inside.htm <----- A Mind booklet about hearing voices. It contains some very reassuring information as well as ideas for dealing with them.

http://www.hearing-voices.org/ <----- The website of an organisation that supports people who hear voices. There's a helpline and some information on local groups.

People learn to deal with upsetting voices in their own way. Here are some ideas that might help you:

*Listening to music through headphones can help to drown them out.

*Talking back to them - it's ok to get angry and disagree with what you're hearing.

*Medication - some medications can be helpful for quietening or getting rid of voices.

*Ignoring them - you don't have to listen to what they're saying. Remember that they can't hurt you or make you do anything that you don't want to do.

*Some people find that sensory deprivation or social isolation can contribute to hearing voices. Getting out and about and communicating with people on a regular basis can help.

Feel free to add your own ideas. Everyone's different, and what works for one person might not work for another.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 12:44:55 AM by Terri » Logged

superman
Super Terri!

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.
Sorrel
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 07:08:11 PM »

For me, understanding how the Voice is usually that of my father or the bullies from my past. And understanding how the language of the Voice is a symbolic one that needs translating.
Journalling and art always help me.

It also helped when I told my therapist and GP.
j.c
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »

i here something in my head but im not sure what it is ts not a pursifce vioce its hard to deskribe what its like all i no is it tells me to cut my self and it keeps on till i do then i go numb it can be for 5 mins or a few hours or days but its still there 24/7 in the bake of my mind and creping forward i just dont feel strong a nuff to stop it  Sad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: