The NSHN Forum

Back to NSHN Mainsite   
News: Welcome to The NSHN Forums - members have access to more rooms inside, so feel free to come and join us.
NSHN is a support site, a safe environment to help each other  understand the mechanisms resulting in self harm and cope with it and related problems. With this objective in mind, NSHN hopes to reduce the incidence and severity of any form of self harm and improve general awareness throughout the community.
Our membership includes those that self injure, their friends and family and other support groups.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. November 01, 2014, 11:44:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books that you have found to help  (Read 49658 times)
riot-grrrl
18+
Always here

Live Through This

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 05:21:44 PM »

that sounds great feebee!  littlehug1

Incase it hasnt already been mentioned, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath is such a classic.
Also, if you like poetry check out, her collection called Ariel. Also, anne sexton's 'all my pretty ones' is brilliant
xx

"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."
aurora
18+
Usually here

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 07:15:29 PM »

Incase it hasnt already been mentioned, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath is such a classic.

i am in love with this book.
i read it all the time. My copy is falling apart.

Watch me fault her, you're living like a disaster
riot-grrrl
18+
Always here

Live Through This

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 03:19:07 PM »

Ive just finished reading 'get me out of here' rachel reiland, following a reccomendation on here, and i really enjoyed it. definately reccomend it for any other BPD sufferers out there
x

"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."
Thrin
18+
Usually here

<blank page>

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 10:01:27 PM »

I haven't read that many books on this that haven't been condescending or simplistic, but A Bright Red Scream is good. Also +lots for The Bell Jar. Everyone in the whole world should read that book, whether they know about depression or not.

I hated Prozac Nation. I've never read a book where the main character/voice is so annoyingly self-obsessed in a very 'woe is me' tone. Terrible book.

And this is not my face
And this is not my life
And there is not a single thing here
I can recognise
pohelia
18+
Usually here

picked all my weeds but kept the flowers

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 12:54:07 AM »

personally I prefer Prozac Nation to the Bell Jar. Somehow the Bell Jar just doesn't get the overwhelming-ness of depression....however I do think Wurtzel is a likely candidate for a BPD label. The sequal to Prozac Nation (More, Now, Again) is also fab

aim for the moon, if you miss, at least you'll land amongst the stars
riot-grrrl
18+
Always here

Live Through This

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 05:38:07 PM »

i can see why people hate Wurtzel, she can be so annoying self obsessed, but i also kind of love the way she portrays things, she does get across the overwhelming nature of depression, and also obviously, how selfish it can sometimes make you
x

nakmuay
18+
Bronze Member

to the end...

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2007, 03:20:58 AM »

I've just finished reading Wurtzels 2 books. I thought they were fantastic. I found it very real. I agree RG, how it makes you very aware of your own selfishness, which i myself didn't realise I was until I took a step back.

I also loved "An uncommon dialogue" by Deborah ....? Just about this womens journey through therapy. Was brilliant. I gave it to my therapist to read. When i was reading it, it was like hearing my own therapist talking to me cos she used to say a lot of the same things to me. Great book.

Its better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation

Those who lack courage will always find a philosphy to justify it
Eloise
Haven
Usually here

i'm not designed for this world

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 12:35:20 PM »

currently looking at which of these my county has in libraries xxx
Gofeen
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 02:40:15 AM »

I agree Torey Hayden's books are brilliant. While I've never gone through the traumas her children have there are elements in all her books which could have been me. I was a teacher myself until 3-4 years agao but I can honestly say I was never as sensitive as she is.
Gofeen
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 02:43:49 AM »

P.S. I want to read A Bright Red Scream. I'm going to get it from Amazon tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: