NSHN Forum

Back to NSHN Mainsite   
News: Welcome to the NSHN Forums - members will find many more rooms accessible inside, so feel free to come and join us.
NSHN is a support site, a safe environment to help each other  understand the mechanisms resulting in self harm and cope with it and related problems. With this objective in mind, NSHN hopes to reduce the incidence and severity of any form of self harm and improve general awareness throughout the community.
Our membership includes those that self injure, their friends and family and other support groups.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2014, 05:58:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The three C's, for when someone you care about self-harms  (Read 19652 times)
Melody
18+
Bronze Member

« on: June 16, 2007, 09:26:52 PM »

This used to be in this room on the old site, and I think some people find it helpful, so will re-post.

These are three C's to remember, when somebody you care about self-harms:

I didn't cause it

I can't control it

I can't cure it.

You may well trigger someone's SH, but that's not the same thing as causing it. OK. You're having a really bad day at the office. You know the kind of day, when everything that can go wrong, does go wrong. Someone saunters through your office and remarks on how wonderfully their life is going. You retort 'Bully for you'. Now, the someone who walked through your office didn't cause your retort, but they did trigger it.

You can help someone towards the most helpful path when they are SHing, but you can't control their actions. Lighthouses don't get up off their point, and start screaming at ships that there are rocks around, even though they know that they're there. They just keep on being the best lighthouses that they can be: the ships have to choose whether they will be guided by them or not.

You are not a therapist. Even if you are a therapist, it is not your job to cure the SH of someone you love. Don't try to be one. It won't help you, or the person you love (who may end up feeling even more guilty etc for not being able to respond to you).

Should stress that these were not my idea but taken from a book, called *Stop walking on eggshells* by Paul Mason and Randi Kreger.

Someone added a fourth C, which was 'carry on regardless' - a very good idea, in my opinion *flower*

xx M xx
squiggle
18+
Usually here

smile

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 09:27:50 PM »

it's back!!!

thanks melody

The average pencil is seven inches long, with just a half-inch eraser - in case you thought optimism was dead.
Robert Brault
My Blog - http://wp.me/2MX7h
Tabatha
18+
Gold Member

Faith, trust & a sprinkling of fairy dust...

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 11:11:17 PM »

Thank you!  You're a star!  Grin

She's been everybody else's girl, maybe one day she'll be her own...
seahorse
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 07:10:05 PM »

simplicity and obviousness grabbed me by my heart . it might not make things easier but consciousness that im not alone brings hope
desperatemo
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 03:34:48 PM »

Thank you so much. I thought I was alone. reading the three C's has helped take some of the pressure off.Thanks Smiley
Arrietty
18+
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:07:03 PM »

Thanks for that one, it is really good, made me think

'If I had a world of my own, everything in it would be nonsense.  Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.  And contrarywise, what it is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.  You see?'    (Alice in Wonderland)
Eloise
Haven
Usually here

i'm not designed for this world

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:20:57 PM »

i love this post it's so useful and amazing and can be appilied to loads of things like my ASD Smiley
purplefiona
18+
Gold Member

another day

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 12:51:50 PM »

mate. that is very very useful. Thank you.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
eagleray
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 02:30:51 AM »

I read this post every day and always before I go to bed. It really grows on me and has been a great help.
Thanks
Melody
18+
Bronze Member

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 09:59:05 AM »

I'm glad :-)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: