The NSHN Forum

Back to NSHN Mainsite   
News: New members: please note that all new applications are manually checked for member safety. It can take up to 24 hrs for new accounts to be approved. When approved you will be emailed with your activation link, and after you activate your account you can then post and see additional rooms. You must have a valid email address to receive your activation link.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 22, 2014, 01:10:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with panic attacks  (Read 21889 times)
justine
18+
Usually here

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 10:45:54 PM »

i find the best things are being reassured by someone, and taking action. eg if i have a panic attack over tummy ache, if i think i'm doing something to help it, my panic ends.

also, mints. i have some of those trebor extra strong ones. they help me calm down, and stop feeling sick. ginger biscuits help with feeling sick too.

A tip for anxiety, try to eat. 1, because being sick on an empty tummy really sucks, and 2, because as hard as it is to eat, not eating makes you feel worse. watching tv while nibbling food can help.

distractions also help panic attacks

If you feel like life is a dark, worthless place, please know that you have just fallen down a hole and that impossible as it seems, you can climb out again, and see that life is really a beautiful place to be

http://www.nshn.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=74073.msg1702918#new
Emmz
18+
Usually here

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 12:03:15 PM »

what I find useful is putting your left hand on your right shoulder and your right hand on your right shoulder and tapping gently and slowly. This has been proved apparantly because it uses both parts of your brain to focus on the tapping.

Deep breathing and trying to rationalise also helps me. When I'm having a panic attack and am thinking "oh my god I can't breathe I'm going to die" I try and tell myself it'll be over soon it WILL be ok. (This one takes a bit more practise)

Living is a problem because everybody dies
wicca
18+
Usually here

I gave up crying a long time ago

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 06:47:22 PM »

^I am going to try that, when I have a panic attack I often feel I cant breathe and because I am asthmatic the panic really sets in, if someone is asthmatic and has a panic attack dont let them take their inhaler more than once as it speeds up the heart and causes more problems by making them think their heart is going too fast, hence the dying feeling again!
Also aromatherapy oils put on tops can help with the relaxation and calming down. I also find talking through what happened and my fears afterward can help my partner to understand me more next time and be more helpful, its also good to think over what happened and process it.

Emmz
18+
Usually here

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 06:51:04 PM »

It is really difficult to get your brain thinking in that way, I'm also asthmatic and I think I had about 20 or 30 before I could actually tell myself I wasn't going to die and believe it. Not trying to shock you but try and stick with it xxx

Living is a problem because everybody dies
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 05:37:21 PM »

This has been so helpful thank you.
whenever i have an attack im always tempted to cover my face for some reason but sitting up with shoulders back is much better, aswell as all the things thatve been mentioned.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: