Author Topic: Panicking when asleep?  (Read 3939 times)

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
Panicking when asleep?
« on: October 24, 2017, 01:44:14 AM »
Does anyone else ever wake up in the middle of a panic attack at night? I don't know if I'm explaining this very well but it's as though a panic attack starts during sleep and I wake up scared of nothing in particular and I'm dizzy/sick/shaking etc. I don't remember dreaming about anything so I don't think I'm having nightmares, it's just a feeling that something bad will happen. I told my GP and he gave me sleeping pills and while they help me get TO sleep quicker I don't STAY asleep and I still get anxiety, plus I don't like the hangover feeling the next day so I don't tend to take them often. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything that can help. I'm doing all of the sleep hygiene crap and it's just not working and I'm at my wits end. I've even tried sleeping with relaxing background noise and that doesn't work either.
I hope that I haven't babbled and this makes sense, sorry if this is gibberish but I'm extremely tired. I can't remember the last time that I slept all the way through the night.
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Panicking when asleep?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »
I haven't had that problem before. However I do understand how tiring it it to wake up during he night. It does sound horrid.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:35:26 PM »
Thanks. I think I just needed to vent about this. I just get scared because I don't know how to deal with panic attacks. I guess I just need to get the anxiety treated properly so that I can learn to manage things better.
I'm just so so tired.   :(
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 05:51:18 PM »
You are bound to be tired. Bless you.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Tigger has lost the bounce
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 12:00:21 AM »
I get exactly this problem too. I do all the sleep hygiene so i can fall asleep and i have the ocean on in the background but i often wake up panicking like something awful is going to happen.  I do have nightmares though but when i wake up feeling panicked i never remember having a nightmare. Its awful isn't it I'm completely fed up with it. I've just been referred to a psychiatrist which I'm really scared about but hoping they can help. I'm sorry you feel this way it's exhausting but you aren't alone.
Outside I'm smiling, Inside I'm crying. Outside I'm laughing, Inside I'm dying.
"Its goodbye to the shortcuts, hello to the grind, no one ever said it would be an easy ride" - Relentless
Last SH 18/02/12