Author Topic: Living alone...  (Read 5382 times)

Offline LittleSquirrel

• 18+
  • First posts
  • Don't compromise yourself, it's all you've got.
Living alone...
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:52:57 AM »
So, I've been in residential care for just under a year now. Prior to this, I was in hospital for about 2 years. I'm going to be moving on and living on my own again within the next month!! I am excited, proud of myself etc. but I am absolutely bricking it, worried that I will fail and have lost a lot of confidence in myself.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good resources, books etc. that I can buy to have a read through about living alone? The thing I struggle with most is isolation and being in my own company - it's pretty much a phobia and something I am going to have to work on. If anyone can suggest anything that I could read etc. that would be great.

Thanks guys!
"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you."

Offline Reeta

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Faulty genes
Re: Living alone...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 11:56:42 AM »
I honestly think its just one of those things you have to do, you cant really prepare for the feeling of it.

Offline Spanna

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • "Our lives are like a candle in the wind"
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:19:49 PM »
I honestly think its just one of those things you have to do, you cant really prepare for the feeling of it.

+1 to what Reeta has said.

On the other hand there are resources out there that may be able to offer a little bit of guidance. Maybe have a look at this: http://www.wikihow.com/Move-Out-of-Home-Into-Your-First-Apartment and this one, which is releating to University students but the principles are the same: http://au.reachout.com/find/articles/moving-away-to-attend-university
Samaritans 08457 909090

:sheep: < one day the skipping sheep will get on Britain's Got Talent :D

Can you imagine that I am sitting next to you, giving you a hug?  I am sending good thoughts your way. 

Offline Spanna

• 18+
  • Usually here
Samaritans 08457 909090

Can you imagine that I am sitting next to you, giving you a hug?  I am sending good thoughts your way. 

Offline LittleSquirrel

• 18+
  • First posts
  • Don't compromise yourself, it's all you've got.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 09:34:38 PM »
Cool, thanks :)
"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you."

Offline Spanna

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 10:13:59 PM »
It's a pleasure, just hope it helps  :hug2:

I was in your boat 3 years ago now and it wasn't at all easy so I understand your worries perfectly  :hug2:
Samaritans 08457 909090

Offline happy girl

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Barcelona !
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:29:51 AM »
Reeta is right hun.  But you can prepare for those moments when being alone may become tricky. Do you read ? Can you buy some good books, reading is the best form of escapism, and helps you forget that you are alone if you can get into a good plot. What about films, could you get some good dvd's ready to put on if you feel alone ? What about an indoor hobby, knitting ( don't laugh, it takes concentration and takes over your thoughts and concentration for a while) good luck love, keep us posted x
Once you kill a cow, you gotta make a burger....