Author Topic: Dermatillomania  (Read 4227 times)

Offline deaths destiny

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • scars are like tattoos but with better stories
Dermatillomania
« on: January 09, 2012, 04:40:19 PM »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone who has had this could tell me about their experience, how they were treated, any coping mechanisms, how they handled it with partners- that sort of thing, for dermatillomania (skin picking).
I know I definitely have it but my doctors don't seem to consider it a problem compared to self-harm and it does make me feel very self-conscious, particularly if I get with someone or have sex as it's mostly across my face and breasts.

I just wouldn't mind some personal insight, thanks.
Each person holds a story, each different and linked but now its time for you to listen to our stories.

Speak your mind even if your voice shakes

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself

Offline howling

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Dermatillomania
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »
hya. i didnt even know it had a name. i think the doctor is right. im not saying its any less serious as other forms of sh but we arent going to do serious damage with what we do. as well as sh i am too a skin picker but ive never really thought of it as an issue. mine probably isnt as severe as yours. disgustingly i pick the skin round my ears. i have no idea why. but i do it till it bleeds and is very sore. i tell everyone its eczema. i think mine is like a nervous thing. cos i have anxiety. hope that ive helped in some way and could i just say i dont feel quite so weird knowing it has a name.
" You cannot do a kindness too soon,for you never know how soon it will be too late."

Offline bernie

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 08:57:18 AM »
I pick too, and have done since i was a teenager am now nearly 49!. No one's really said anythink to me about it other than I look ugly with all these spots around my face or arm etc. It's mostly a habit as most of the time I don't know I'm doing it, or if I am it's because I am anxious and need to pick at something. I don't mind looking 'ugly' don't feel I am worth anything anyway. Maybe that is part of the ansa. Had a problem yesterday waiting to see the Psychology dept manager for an assessment. Absentmindedly I picked a scab on my elbow then had gushes of blood everywhere and could not stop it and didn't have a hanky. Desperately trying to stop it. Went in for assessment and was asking me about my s/h cuts on other arm and brought up what had I done to my other arm. Couldn't tell him I was worrying about seeing him!. I think picking is a minor s/h that ' normal' people can associate with but can lead to more s/h. Haven't had any diagnosis about it though.

Offline deaths destiny

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • scars are like tattoos but with better stories
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 02:56:10 PM »
I know that it's related to OCD and to targeting areas of imperfection- for me they are the areas that I get acne- and is further associated with body dysmorphic disorder, which makes sense as I have a thing about plucking my eyebrows too.
I find that I can't stop thinking about it or I do it without knowing as well, and by then the damage is done. It gets worse when I'm stressed too, and overwhelmed.
I don't know whether to ask my doctor about it or hold on to it and wait until I'm seen by a clinical psychologist.
Each person holds a story, each different and linked but now its time for you to listen to our stories.

Speak your mind even if your voice shakes

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself